What is Technical SEO?
Technical SEO refers to the behind-the-scenes optimizations that improve how search engines crawl, index, and understand your website content. Getting the technical foundations right is key for strong SEO.
Why Technical SEO MattersTechnical SEO helps search bots:
- Discover all the pages on your site to be crawled
- Crawl and index your content more efficiently
- Understand the topic focus and keywords on each page
- Navigate unique site structures and internal linking paths
If search engines have trouble crawling your site, it harms visibility. Technical SEO removes barriers.
Common Technical SEO IssuesSome common technical problems include:
- Incorrect use of robots.txt directives
- Slow site speed and performance
- Broken internal links causing crawl errors
- Duplicate or thin content issues
- Lack of mobile optimization
- Missing title tags and meta descriptions
Identifying and fixing technical problems improves SEO.
Technical SEO Best PracticesFollow these technical SEO best practices:
- Optimize page speed for faster load times
- Implement responsive design for all device sizes
- Ensure proper use of alt text, headings, and metadata
- Fix crawl errors and broken links
- Enable indexing of all important pages
- Optimize internal site architecture and navigation
Tightening up technical SEO establishes a solid foundation for ranking success.
Conducting Technical SEO AuditsRegular technical SEO audits help identify issues to fix such as:
- Crawl accessibility problems
- Duplicate or thin content
- Issues flagged in Search Console
- Incorrect metadata and structured data
- Security vulnerabilities
Stay on top of technical health with regular audits and checkups.
The Role of Developers in Technical SEOWeb developers support technical SEO by:
- Implementing fast, mobile-friendly website design
- Building in site search and internal linking
- Adding metadata markup like titles and descriptions
- Optimizing page speed and performance
- Fixing crawl errors and broken links
Collaborating with developers is key for addressing technical challenges.
Don’t Neglect Technical SEO
With constant Google algorithm updates, it’s important to stay on top of technical SEO. Don’t let site issues create barriers to ranking success.
Find Out More
SEO GLOSSARYWhat is Anchor Text?Anchor text refers to the clickable words or phrases in a hyperlink that take users to another webpage or section of a webpage when clicked. Anchor text serves an important purpose in providing context for where a link will lead,...
SEO GLOSSARYWhat is Link Juice?Link juice refers to the ranking power or authority that a webpage passes to another webpage via a link. When website A links to website B, website A is essentially "voting" for website B by directing some of its own ranking power to it....
SEO GLOSSARYWhat is Domain Rating?Domain Rating is a way to measure the authority and trustworthiness of a website. Just like your credit score rates your financial reputation, Domain Rating rates the quality and reliability of a domain. In short, it's a score that...
SEO GLOSSARYWhat is White Hat SEO?White hat SEO refers to ethical search engine optimization tactics and strategies that focus on improving the quality and value of a website in order to achieve higher rankings in search engines like Google. The term "white hat" comes...
SEO GLOSSARYWhat is Keyword Stuffing?Keyword stuffing refers to the practice of overloading content with keywords in an attempt to manipulate search engine results. The goal is to rank content higher in search engines by repeating keywords over and over.How Keyword...
SEO GLOSSARYWhat are Canonical URLs?Canonical URLs are the preferred or primary URLs that point to a specific page on a website. They help search engines and users find the correct page and avoid duplicate content issues. Why are Canonical URLs Important? There are a...